As South Africa heads towards lockdown from midnight, we would like to extend a very special thank you to all of our customers for your wonderful support.
While no wine sales or deliveries are permitted during the lockdown period, we are so grateful to have been able to share our wines with so many of you who stocked up early. May they bring you happy moments of relaxation and reflection over these next weeks.
Remember you can still place an order at our on line shop here and we will have it all packed and ready to delivery once wine sales are allowed
Join us during the Elgin Cool Wine & Country Food Festivalthis year and enjoy free tastings, delicious sushi, exclusive farm tours ( pre booking essential ), and great family fun on our organic & biodynamic farm.
• 3 vintages of our current wines (either Sauvignon Blanc and/or Pinot Noir)
GOLDEN TICKET EXPERIENCE: FARM TOUR
• This experience is available when pre-booked by Golden Ticket holders.
• Take a walking tour on our certified biodynamic farm with us, as we explain our biodynamic preparations and how we use them at Elgin Ridge – and finish with a VIP tasting of older vintages and an exclusive tasting our award-winning Chaos White
• Places are strictly limited to just 6 people per session: Morning session at 11.00am and afternoon session at 14.00pm
( Saturday morning seesion fully booked, 2 places available Saturday afternoon), Sunday still available
• Enjoy a delicious sushi platter (minimum 10 pieces) and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc for R160 per person
• Enjoy being on our biodynamic and organic wine estate and catch a glimpse of our Percheron horse – Maddox – who ploughs our vineyards in winter. Keep an eye out for our sheep, cattle, ducks and chickens, too
• Visitors are welcome to bring their own picnic and enjoy a bottle of Elgin Ridge wine amongst the vines or around the dam in one of our picnic spots.
Bookings for our Golden Ticket Farm Tour and sushi are essential.
• Enjoy a delicious sushi platter and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc for R150
• Enjoy being on our biodynamic and organic wine estate and catch a glimpse of our Percheron horse – Maddox – who ploughs our vineyards in winter. Keep an eye out for our sheep, cattle, ducks and chickens, too!…
• Visitors are welcome to bring their own picnic and enjoy a bottle of Elgin Ridge wine amongst the vines or around the dam in one of our picnic spots (tables and umbrellas provided).
Bookings for sushi and picnic spots are essential. Please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org to book!
Join us at Elgin Ridge for Lunch of Elgin Free Range chicken casserole cooked by Marion, or warm root veggie salad, served with fresh bread, or rice, including a glass of Sauvignon Blanc for R 175.00
Booking is essential to secure your lunch. Please call 021 846 8060 or e-mail: email@example.com
Sales of our certified organic Pinot Noir and Sauvignon Blanc and our special 2011 vintage MCC, by the glass or bottle are also available with lunch.
At the Tasting Room, tasting and sales of our organic wines and an opportunity to see our organic cellar and the newly installed Eggs used for our 2016 vintage, not to be confused with our chicken and ducks eggs !
Hopefully our chickens and ducks will have laid plenty of eggs and you can purchase our free range chicken and duck eggs.
Cows contribute to our biodynamic farming in several ways; during winter they graze in the vineyards, thus keeping the weeds under control; and more importantly fertilising the soil with their manure, giving energy to the soil naturally.
Elgin Ridge has a growing heard of 70 Dexter cows; including 14 calves born at Elgin Ridge so far this year. Dexter are a natural miniature breed from Ireland.
We have planted 7 HA of pastures this year, and use a rotating grazing system with portable electric fencing; this way our cows graze in our nutrient-rich pastures ensuring they eat when they want, in the best pastures available, as mother nature intended. We treat our cows kindly, allowing them to roam, and never over milk them. This leads to happy Dexters that produce beautiful marbled beef.
When our non breeding bulls are ready, we supply Andy Fenner at Frankie Fenner Meat Merchants, see ffmm.co.za with our Dexter beef for his selected customers.
Elgin Ridge is a unique certified organic vineyard in Elgin. We believe in farming using traditional, long since forgotten, methods. This has enabled us to become the only certified organic farm in Elgin. Visit us and taste our sought after wines, produced from our organic grapes.
Lunch will be served between 12h00 and 14h30, overlooking the vineyards. Booking is essential as we have limited space. Wine will be available by the glass or bottle.
Mature Brie & Caramelized Onion Tart with Fresh Rocket & Rosa Tomatoes
Rooibos Smoked Norwegian Salmon with Capers & Lemon
Herb & Dijon Crusted Beef Fillet with Herb Aioli & Jus
Bacon & Sun dried Tomato Couscous Salad
Wholegrain New Potato Salad
Almond Green Beans
On the Sweeter Side
Elgin Valley Tarte Tatin with Vanilla Ice Cream, Berries & Elgin Honey
After a cool and very wet summer, harvest at Elgin Ridge started with the Chardonnay (Marion’s Bubbly) on February 11th.
This was followed by the Pinot Noir on February 24th and the Sauvignon Blanc was started on March 12th and finished on March 18th, a full two weeks later than 2013 reflecting the cool season.
Whilst a challenging vintage, the fruit was perfectly ripe at the time of picking, and bunch selection was rigorous. thus eliminating any sub-standard fruit.
All varietals produced juice of excellent quality and all were naturally fermented without any inoculation of commercial yeasts. This produces relatively slow ferments which preserve natural flavours and aromas thus reflecting the true attributes of the location, climate & soil.
All the wines are potentially the best so far from Elgin Ridge, with the Pinot Noir looking outstanding, with fine fruit and good acidity. The Sauvignon Blanc probably has the best expression of the varietal we have had and whilst the Chardonnay has much reduced yields, the quality is excellent.
A challenging vintage which required diligence and a determination not to sacrifice quality for quantity.